Driver’s license: One of the requirements for a citizen to drive in India is a driver’s license. However, there are specific procedures that must be followed to receive a driver’s license and drive legally in India. These procedures may include obtaining a license registration from the Regional Transportation Office (RTO) and several other steps. Here are the requirements and restrictions you need to know to get a valid driving license in India.
No need to go to the RTO.
An applicant is not required to visit the RTO. Private driving centers are operated by the national government or the national transport authority, according to the rules. These centers will be granted a five-year license which must be renewed every five years.
Also Read: All You Want To Know About Airtel Plan With Disney+ Hotstar Subscriptions
No driving test at RTO
According to Ministry of Road Transport and Highways rules, a person does not need to queue at RTOs to pass the driving test. Instead, individuals can take the test at any government-approved driving school to avoid having to take the RTO driving test.
Types of Driving Licenses in India
- MC 50CC—Motorcycles with an engine capacity of 50 CC or less.
- MC EX50CC-LMV with equipment and capacity of 50 CC or more (cars, motorcycles)
- MCWOG/FVG-Motorcycles with any displacement but without gears
- M/CYCL.WG-All motorcycles with or without equipment
- LMV-NT Light motor vehicles (LCVs) for purposes other than transportation
Commercial driver’s license
- HMV Heavy Motor Vehicles
- Heavy Goods Vehicles – Heavy Goods Vehicles
- HPMV/HTV-Heavy Passenger Motor Vehicle/Heavy Transport Vehicle
- MGV-Medium Vehicle
- LMV: LMV: cars, delivery vans, jeeps and taxis.
- Heavy trailer-trailer permit
It should be mentioned that international driving licenses are also available.
Documents required for obtaining a valid driver’s license
- Proof of age can be provided in the form of a school certificate, birth certificate, social security card, passport or statement from the employer.
- Aadhar card, rental contract, ration card, passport, utility bill or life insurance policy certificate can all be used as proof of address.
- A passport size photo
- 4 Application form
- Medical certificates are issued using Forms 1 and 1A.
Procedure for obtaining a driving license
- Visit the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways website to apply for a driver’s license.
- You will be prompted to select your home state and the type of driver’s license you wish to apply for next.
- When you are done, fill out the application form with all the required information and submit it to complete the process.
- You will receive your license in the mail once your application has gone through the official process and is ready.
- It should be noted that you will initially receive a learner’s permit, which can then be converted into a permanent permit within six months of its issuance.